The Southern Trust commissions Artscare Northern Ireland to deliver arts activities in Trust premises for patients, service users and staff through their Artists in Residence programme. We have Arts Care Committees with volunteer members from clinical, managerial, administrative, estates services, as well as local arts enthusiasts.
Our three dedicated Artists in Residence works in Trust settings based in each locality:
- Armagh and Dungannon- Eddie Rafferty
- Craigavon and Banbridge – Jill McKeown
- Newry and Mourne – Gwen Stevenson
The Artists-in-Residence work closely with our committees in deciding what projects to undertake and consult with staff and patients to finalise concepts and themes. By working in this way the people who make decisions about the art provision are the people who will ‘live’ with the art.
Through our Artscare service the Trust aims to:
- Provide accessible Artist in Residence services across a variety of settings, in agreement with the locality committees
- Improve mental health, self confidence and self-esteem
- Make a positive contribution to the wellbeing of patients and clients and staff
- Improve staff/client relationships
- Increase communication and social skills
- Develop the sensory awareness and physical dexterity of participants
- Enhance our health & social care environments