Interpreting & Translation
The Southern Trust has one of the largest ethnic minorities populations in Northern Ireland.
The NI HSC Interpreting Service provides a regional interpreting service for all Health and Social Care organisations across Northern Ireland.
The aim is to significantly improve access to health and social care for patients who do not speak English as a first or competent second language.
- Interpreters are professionally trained and adhere to a code of practice / ethics.
- Interpreters are bound by confidentiality.
- We can provide interpreters at any time.
- We have more than 200 professional interpreters covering 33 registered languages.
- The service is free of charge for patients.
Southern Trust usage of NI HSC Interpreting Service between April 21 – March 22
During the reporting period, the Southern Trust made 38,495 requests for interpreters through the NI Regional HSC Interpreting Service.
This has shown an increase again in the face-to-face interpretation. The top 3 languages requested were Polish, Lithuanian and Bulgarian
Southern Trust remains the largest user of NIHSCIS in the region accounting for over 40% of usage.