Developmental Language Disorder
Developmental Language Disorder (DLD) is a type of speech, language and communication need (SLCN) that affects the way that children understand and use language.
DLD is hidden, but common, with on average 2 children in every classroom having DLD.
What is Developmental Language Disorder?
DLD is quite common and because it can look like other things – including autism or dyslexia – it’s often missed.” Learn more here https://www.bbc.co.uk/tiny-happy-people/what-is-dld/z86p3qt
Watch this video ‘DLD – An introduction for parents’
Welcome to Developmental Language Disorder (DLD) – An introduction for Parents with Sue Marr, Specialist Teacher (SLCN) and Caroline Burke (Specialist Speech and Language Therapist) of the Moor House Research and Training Institute. https://www.moorhouseschool.co.uk/dld-parents
What families think about DLD
Watch this RCSLT video animation which provides some stark information about DLD and its far reaching impacts if those with DLD aren’t properly supported
- ‘DLD and Me’ seeks to raise awareness about Developmental Language Disorder and to offer support and resources for parents, teachers and individuals impacted by DLD DLD | Developmental Language Disorder | Language Disorder (dldandme.org)
- ‘Afasic’ has joined with Stephen Parsons to develop a face to face and video conference training for parents about DLD. Contact Afasic https://www.afasic.org.uk/contact/ to find out more
- ‘DLD Together’ has lots of interesting articles and both parents’ and teachers’ sections DLD Together Project (dldandme.co.uk)
- ‘Raising Awareness of DLD’ (RADLD) is a movement of academics, researchers, health professionals, educators and families from around the world committed to raising awareness of DLD RADLD – Raising Awareness of Developmental Language Disorder – RADLD
- ‘Engage With DLD’ Engage with Developmental Language Disorder (E-DLD) connects people experiencing DLD to academic research. They keep families and individuals updated on research findings, current research projects and DLD-related activities Home | Engage with DLD (engage-dld.com)