Sexual Health Improvement
C Card Condom distribution scheme
The C-Card (Condom Distribution) Scheme is a confidential sexual health service for young people aged 16 – 25 years in Northern Ireland. The scheme provides free condoms, lubricants, support and advice at convenient times and in a variety of locations locally.
To register for C Card, attend your local provider and complete a quick assessment. Once approved you will be issued with a C-Card (credit card-style card) which entitles you to free condoms and lubricant. When you need more, just get in touch with your local provider
Pharmacy First Free Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) and bridging contraception Regional scheme
Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) – the morning after pill and bridging contraception is now available through most Community Pharmacies regionally. The service ensures that women and young people aged 13 years and over have timely, local access to sexual health advice and free EHC (including the provision of bridging contraception) when clinically indicated. More broadly, the service aims to:
- increase knowledge, especially amongst younger women, of the availability of EHC and hormonal contraception from community pharmacies; improving access to EHC and sexual health advice.
- reduce the incidence of unplanned pregnancies.
- ensure treatment is in line with best practice and NI formulary.
- refer women and young people into appropriate, mainstream sexual health services.
- increase the knowledge of risks, such as Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), associated with UPSI.
- encourage the use of condoms amongst women and young people presenting for EHC, to enable them to protect themselves against STIs and unplanned pregnancy.