Introduction to Falls
Experiencing a fall is a major concern for adults over the age of 65 and about one third of people over 65 has a fall each year, with higher rates for over 75’s when the figure rises to one in every two people.
Up to 20 per cent of falls require medical attention and falls make up half of the hospital admissions for accidental injury, especially in hip fractures.
Some falls facts:
- Half of the falls reported by older people follow a trip of accident
- Some 90 per cent of hip fractures are caused by a fall
- Around 50 per cent of falls are preventable
- Many falls go unreported, resulting in heightened risk of further falls for these individuals.
Take action to reduce your falls risk
- Home safety
- Looking after your feet
- Food Fact Sheet
- Exercise for Falls Prevention – community
- Reporting Falls to Your GP
Falls Awareness 2021