Difficulty breathing and wheeze
Click here to download leaflet
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV):
Can you prevent bronchiolitis?
It’s very difficult to prevent bronchiolitis, but there are steps you can take to reduce your child’s risk of catching it
and help prevent the virus spreading.
• wash your hands and your child’s hands frequently
• wash or wipe toys and surfaces regularly
• keep infected children at home until their symptoms have improved
• keep newborn babies away from people with colds or flu
• avoid smoking around your child, and do not let others smoke around them
Some children who are at high risk of developing severe bronchiolitis may have monthly antibody injections,
which help limit the severity of the infection.
For more information on bronchiolitis go to: www.nidirect.gov.uk/conditions/bronchiolitis