Early Years Service
The primary responsibility of the Early Years Service is the registration, monitoring and inspection of daycare provision for children aged under 12 years in the Southern Trust area. The service is committed to raising the quality, range and accessibility of daycare provision for children and their families in the Southern area.
Childcare services regulated by the Early Years Team include childminders, crèches, day nurseries, out of school groups, playgroups, summer schemes and two year old programmes. Childcare providers are registered by the Team and are inspected on an annual basis to ensure standards are adhered to and that children are receiving the best possible service.
The following is a summary of the work completed by the Early Years Teams:
- Register, monitor and inspect childminders, playgroups, day nurseries, crèches, two year old programmes and out of school provision;
- Offer advice and support to existing and prospective day care providers and act as liaison Social Workers to each childminder and day care facility;
- Approve applicants for Home Child Carer Scheme;
- Liaise with statutory and voluntary agencies to raise the profile of high quality early years provision.
- Maintain a register of all Early Years Day Care Facilities in the Southern Trust;
- Identify areas with low provision of registered daycare and support where appropriate the development of new services;
- Promote equal access to early years services for all;
- Encourage partnership with all those interested in supporting and developing early years services;
- Provide information for parents on the services available to them and their children;
- Promote training opportunities with the community, voluntary and statutory sector for all early years providers.
If you are interested in becoming a childminder, you will be required to complete the Childminder Registration form and return to Early Years Team, Southern Health & Social Care Trust, 2 Old Lurgan Road Portadown BT63 5SG
If you would like to provide daycare for children under 12 years, you will be required to complete the Daycare Provider form and return to Early Years Team, Southern Health & Social Care Trust, Gosford Place, The Mall, Armagh, BT61 9AR